Dishwashers Save Water, Time, Money and the Planet
Today’s dishwashers use less water than hand washing can. They use less water because they are set up to use a measured amount of water. (Can you say that about your hand dish washing habits?).
Newer dishwashers have food/debris sensors. These sensors cut down water use even more if your dishes are scraped off before loading.
Many new models have full arm sprayers and added water jets that hit your dishes more evenly and with more force. If you have pots and pans that are dishwasher safe, you’ll see a marked difference in your results.
Energy Star dishwashers use less electricity or gas than washing by hand. They use less detergent too.
Dishwashers save you hundreds of hours per year vs. scrubbing dishes, fighting with your kids (and spouse) over who’s turn it is, etc. You get the idea.
All of these savings add up to more time for you, less money spent and a greener planet.
Tips for loading and running your dishwasher:
- scrape food off of plates and pans
- stack dishes so that more can fit so you’re not wasting water, etc.
- don’t stack it to the point where some dishes are blocked for the jets
- run the dishwasher at night when energy costs are lower
- run it only when you are home in case of problems